Thursday 20 June 2013

Letter to a stranger

Dear stranger,
I only met you twice, I think, or was it three times? I forget now, but you weren't there long. What I do remember is that I was scared and desperate for answers. I was fed up of being labelled a hypochondriac for seeking answers about what was happening to my body, so I changed doctors and I met you. You believed me, the first time anyone in the medical profession had. You saw me shuffling slowly, and painfully into your office, exhausted after a short walk and having trouble concentrating and you agreed that this was not normal for a previously active 19 year old. You referred me to a rheumatologist, but you were only at that doctors temporarily and I didn't see you again after the rheumatologist appointment. I wonder if you ever thought about me, if you ever wondered what I was eventually diagnosed with. Would you have still been so supportive after I was diagnosed with such a controversial illness? I like to think so.
I don't think you'll ever know how much it meant to finally be believed, to have someone backing me up and starting the process to finding answers. Of course I didn't realise that this was just the beginning, or know how tough this journey would be, or how much I would have to fight for the help that I need. But that doesn't matter, you gave me my first glimmer of hope. Hope that I would get answers, hope that I wouldn't always have to fight, and hope that there were some doctors who were on my side, who wanted answers for me as much as I wanted them for myself. And for that I will always be grateful.



I'm linking up with Ruth's letters to series which will be every two weeks with different prompts. Today's prompt is Letter to a Stranger, the link is open all week so head over and link up if you want to.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jess! I found this post so touching. I've seen so many healthcare professionals in relation to my long term fatigue and chronic pain. I've been referred to rheumatology, physio, psychotherapy, pain clinic and the rest.. never a diagnosis though and I've given up on pushing for one. I know how it feels not to be believed or taken seriously and I can understand why this stranger made such an impact on you, in giving you that glimmer of hope. This was a wonderful post! I'm so glad you linked up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and for awakening my need to write again! I'm sorry that it has been such a long road for you and that you still don't have a diagnosis to support your symptoms. I hope you are able to find that one healthcare professional who believes in you and does everything in their power to help you

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad someone stopped to listen to you. That seems so rare now a days. I pray you continue to get answers. Thanks for sharing how this one stranger made so much difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karin, it's a shame that it is so rare to find. Thankfully there are still healthcare professionals who want to make a difference and do their best to fight your corner! Thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Jess. This was so moving to read. It can make all the difference in the world to be believed and taken seriously, can't it? I remember that once I found an understanding doctor who could join the various dots of symptoms together to provide a clear enough picture for a diagnosis, it was a huge relief. To know what we are dealing with is half the battle. I'm so pleased you linked up with Ruth and enabled me to find your lovely blog for the first time! Great to meet with you here, my friend. Blessings of health and strength to you :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy. Yes it really can, it happens so few and far between in the medical profession at the moment. Thank you for coming over and for your lovely comment. I gave up on my blog for a while so it's quite strange but nice to be writing again, although only occasionally! xxx

      Delete
  4. Hi Jess. I really enjoyed your post. I have met many people who, like you, were not taken seriously by medical professionals. Thank God for those people who choose these professions because they actually care, and genuinely want the best for their patients. Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sabrina. Yes those that care are fantastic and definitely aren't given enough recognition.

      Delete